I know we are already over half way through this year, yet it is never too late to set goals. I’ve read and heard over and over again in how important goal setting is. Goal setting itself (at least in a basic sense) is easy, “lose weight.” However, to really achieve a goal it first has to be realistic (lose 15 lbs vs. lose 115 lbs), specific (lose 15 lbs with xyz diet plan in 6 months) and finally broken down into bite size pieces (for month 1 I will attend weekly meetings and follow the program, month 2: drink 64oz of water a day…etc). If you’ve gotten this far then you’ve written down your goals which is also key. The last part is where i typically fail: review often and make it a part of your monthly to-do’s or daily action plan.
Since it’s August, my goals will start now and I will give monthly updates on how I am progressing. In addition, my goal year will end in July of 2016. Here are my goals:
Spiritual: My priority is to become a woman after God’s own heart and a light to my children, husband, family and friends.
- Complete 5 Bible studies
- Memorize 100 verses
- Keep a gratitude journal, which I fill out 4x/week and play “I praise God for…” as a family 3x/week
Mothering: My priority is that my children would know that they are loved, cherished and that I am interested in them both in my words and actions.
- Read 2 books or 2 chapters to each child every day.
- Instead of saying “wait until…” or “not right now” to requests for me to do something, make it a daily priority by scheduling more fun and making time for the request within 30 minutes of the request.
- Give each of the older kids 5 hugs/kisses/embraces in the morning and afternoon. (This one may seem silly but touch is NOT my love language and I have found myself trying to avoid their touch. This was an easy thing when they were babies but as they’ve grown I’ve noticed that I have grown less affectionate with them.)
Marriage: My priority is to grow closer to Shawn spiritually, emotionally and physically. To invest time in our marriage.
- Have 1 date night/month.
- Go on 1 overnight trip.
- Pray daily with Shawn for 21 days for 10 minutes.
Financial: My priority is to become debt free so we are no longer slave to the lender and can give like no one else.
- Speed up snowball by increasing debt repayment by $500/month
- Keep a monthly budget and update spending daily.
- Get rid of 21 items a month to live clutter free and be content with what we own.
Personal: My priority is to put first things first, become less anxious and invest in me so I can invest in others.
- Schedule one big stress reliever a month outside the home (getaway, message, etc)
- Lose the weight gained during Hazel and the triplet’s pregnancy
- Post 10 blog posts/month and increase to 20 posts/month by 6 month mark
- Scrapbook (paper or digital) 2 hours a week
There you have it. I’m excited to get started and have already started planning each bite sized, monthly piece. I started out this morning already in the Word and gave each of my children a hug and a kiss. I’m not guaranteeing that setting these goals will mean that I will be on track everyday. After all, life will get in the way of even the best plans. My kids will get sick, my RA can flareup, or any other number of distractions. However, I know where I want to go in the next year. That is the first step. Look for my first update in September.